Now, this is by no means extraordinary... but it sure is EASY. And basically free! Ah.... my two favorite adjectives.
Supplies:
-An old t-shirt
-Fabric elastic (I used 1/4 inch)
-Hot glue
-Scissors
-Felt (optional)
Cut your t-shirt into (approximately) 2x2 squares. None of this must be precise! You need about 6 to 8 squares, depending on how large you'd like your flower.
Trim the corners of your squares to make circles. This is just the easiest way for me to cut a circle... Maybe you excelled in cutting with scissors in kindergarten... if so, stop boasting and just skip step one.
Next, cut your circles in half and cut out two pieces of felt for the base of your flower (you won't see this once it's put on the headband.) If you don't have felt handy, you could also use another scrap from the t-shirt.
Next, use your hot glue to attach the first layer of "petals" to the edge of one of your felt bases.
Surround the felt with four "petals". (Since your circles won't be exactly the same size, try to use the larger ones for this first layer.)
Now, add a second layer of four "petals" at a 45 degree angle to the first layer. (See? That sounds complicated. Just look at the picture...)
Continue to add the "petals" at a 45 degree angle to the layer below it...
Like this...
...Until you close the gap in the middle. (The last layer will only use two "petals")
Then I cut another strip of t-shirt and twisted it tightly...
...and coiled it into a small circle, securing it with hot glue along the way. I then placed that piece in the middle of my flower.
Use the second felt piece to attach the flower to the headband...
Just like so... (PS: hot glue is your friend.)
And there you have it...
I also played around with different types of "rosettes"...
Cut a single strip of your t-shirt. (Hey, Molly girl)
Coil it into a circle...
You can also cluster them with coordinating fabrics... Cute! (If you don't mind me saying...)
These are simple as pie. I feel silly walking through it step-by-step. But there you have it.
Enjoy! :)
Lauren
Sharing here:


Love this idea, Lauren! Thank you!!
ReplyDeleteohhh i love this.. that coiling thing you did reminds me of my refashion your flat ballerina shoes
ReplyDeleteThese are so pretty!!
ReplyDeletehttp://girlintheridingboots.blogspot.com/
Those are really cute! I want to try and make them :)
ReplyDeleteI don't know how you find me but I'm glad you did because your blog and these rosettes are adorable! thanks for the inspiration :)
ReplyDeleteooh these rosettes are absolutely adorable. Thanks for the tips, I might just have my night filled with flower making now!
ReplyDeleteWearing It On My Sleeves
LAUREN!! how crazy! blogland truly is a small world, huh? i am SOOOO sad you guys missed out on karaoke night... and quite frankly, i'm pretty upset you guys left early all together. but i am SOOO happy you found me on here! i love your blog... and i LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these handmade headbands! let's be bff... mkay? mkay.
ReplyDeleteSo adorable. I'm a huge fan of hair accessories and these are just so adorable (Like your blog! So happy I ran across it.), I'll definitely be trying these out soon enough.
ReplyDeleteThese are super cute! I'm gonna try that clustering one!
ReplyDeletetheblogofworldlydelights.blogspot.com
These are so super cute! I might need to make some for when baby # 2 arrives and I want to feel cute but don't have time to do anything with my hair. (Or really...just anytime because these are so darling!)
ReplyDelete