Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Broken In and Loved

I never really considered myself "good" at anything in particular. I dreaded ice-breakers on the first day of school. Your name, your favorite color, and an interesting fact about yourself. Interesting? Fact? About ME?


Most people could come up with something in this ever-so-awkward, first-day-of-school ritual. Hobbies? What hobbies? I didn't sing, draw, dance, swim, or play piano. Nothing. It never bothered me much as a child, but as an adult, I just wish I'd stuck with something.


But I think I've found it. My hobby.

Several weeks ago, Matt and I decided to bite the bullet and refinish a cabinet that I had been talking about for months. The cabinet itself (and accompanying table, chairs, and china cabinet) were a gift from his parents. The furniture was in their old house, is solid as a rock, and has beautiful bones. Matt painted these pieces black when he first furnished his bachelor pad, so, I've been itching for months to get my hands on these pieces. I was dying to freshen them up and brighten up our space in the process. We painted and chipped and sanded and we couldn't be happier with the outcome.





The creamy white paint is called "antique lace".


This section of the cabinet may contain my most favorite details. I love the wear-and-tear around the drawer and doors. It looks like they've been tugged on and slammed shut a thousand times in the past.



We used the existing hardware from the original... The hinges and pulls were all antique, dark brass and look amazing on the creamy white.



Lauren

2 comments:

  1. It looks great! I was the exact same way, I had no hobbies either and love crafts and doing art projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it! you did such a great job on it!!!!

    ReplyDelete